Saturday, September 11, 2010

Can I sum up 6 weeks in one page??

Today our family has been in North Carolina 6 weeks. A LOT has happened. Lots of emotions, lots of things to get used to, lots of things to give God thanks for. I’ll attempt a brief summary! (Those of you who know me feel free to laugh at this point!)


We spent the first week unpacking and setting up our home. I am so thankful we did this because our new little place truly is our haven of normalcy here. Filled with our laughter, love and all the things we are used to having around us, it gives us a level of comfort amidst everything else that has changed.

Our next big hurdle was school for Travis, Moriah, and Declan. The first few weeks are behind us and I think they are more confident about what to do when! Moriah especially has not been in a school environment since January, so the adjustment was more difficult for her. Declan’s school has 600 students. Moriah’s middle school is bigger than Buhler High School! One thing we are all learning within the realm of school is: Perseverance. Choosing not to give up on something that is difficult, overwhelming, or simply not fun! Again, Moriah especially, has had many life events that happened to her where she had no choice but to persevere. Homework, however, is an opportunity for her to choose not to give up and wish it would all just disappear. I remember wishing there was no such thing as Algebra!

For Declan, homework comes pretty easily, but he is adjusting to having a strict man teacher. While this is not always fun for him (and my boy likes to have fun) we already see how those higher expectations placed on him are maturing Declan.

Travis, of course, is devouring his course materials and thoroughly enjoying all his professors have to give him. Hebrew is a really hard language and we’ve all joined in on making up humorous ways to remember letters, vowel sounds, and grammatical rules. My two favorites are “Texas Holem” and “I double dahgesh dare you!” You’ll have to ask Travis what they mean! Mo and I are enjoying Spanish together!

God is using this move to teach me how He wants me to view being the “new kid on the block” and to fully appreciate the friends He gave me “back home”. Being here and not knowing anyone has shown me how much I depend on and am blessed by the fellowship and love of friends and family. Our love and our time are two of the greatest gifts we can give each other. I am SO thankful for technology that allows me to keep in contact with my sweet sisters in Christ in Kansas and Texas! I am SO thrilled to be able to see my Momma and my Sister over Skype each week. I’ve had a few emotional moments at church where I’m surrounded by hundreds of people and don’t know a single one of them. At that moment I have two choices. Feel sorry for myself, small and alone. Or, remember that God brought us here for His purposes, for His glory, and seek out someone to get to know, to hug, to greet, who also might be feeling new, small, and alone.

So, that’s 6 weeks in one page . . . sort of. I’m sure you’ll eventually hear about our local “wildlife”, meeting Moriah’s new doctors, and the ways we’re finding God wants us to minister where we are at. We are so thankful for your continued prayers. We’ll make a super huge post when God deems it time to bless Travis with a job. We’re still waiting and trusting.

Jude verse 20: But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah for blogging! So good to hear from you and hear how you are doing. We miss you so!! But we are praising God for all He is doing in your life! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Shellie! It is SO good and also convicting to read your post - especially the part about having a choice when feeling "small and alone" in a new congregation. I definitely have stood in that same place over the last two months and have failed to react in such a positive way.

    It is easy to look at these big changes as a time when others should be reaching out to ME, and God is, in fact, teaching me that I can always be reaching out to others, because it is Him who sustains me.

    Keep it up! I will love following your journey. Praying for your family.

    Love,
    Edie

    ReplyDelete