Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hugs from God - Daily Blessings from my Heavenly Father

We’ve been in North Carolina nine weeks now! WOW!

Most people we’re getting to know ask if we are “settled in” yet. I’ve thought a lot about that question, especially since I’ve lived my entire life up to this point in Kansas. Nine weeks is a short amount of time compared to my years “back home”. But I do think we are adapting-something our family has learned a little bit about with all Moriah‘s medical challenges. After adapting to four months of living in a hospital, I’m thinking I’ll need at least that long to “settle in” to life in North Carolina.

So much is new and unknown here. I can’t fall back on how things have always been, the usual routine, familiar places and faces. It’s like starting over completely in many ways. Thankfully though, many things are still the same. My husband and I are BEST friends. We have two REALLY great kids. We all have a loving Heavenly Father watching over us and we see evidences of His grace in His Word and in our lives. He knows us each individually and in an intensely personal way. He knows when we just need a hug and some encouragement.

Earlier last week I was really homesick. I was missing my Momma and my Sister. I was missing all the ladies from church and how we love and encourage each other over coffee, lunch, or helping each other out with some project. Part of the starting over process here is making new friends and finding new fellowship. By Wednesday the emotions were getting to me. But my sweet, loving Savior, Who knew I needed to be encouraged gave me a phone call from a sweet friend. I told her how I was feeling and we did what we always do-we talked about what we are learning in the Bible, what we are struggling with, how God is working in our lives to stretch us and change us and make us more like Jesus. What a hug from God! Later that week a new friend invited the kids and me to a local park. How great it was to get out of the house! What a beautiful afternoon we spent getting to know each other better and watching the kids play. Another hug.

I feel most normal when I’m either fellowshipping or serving. They really are two of my favorite things about being in the Body of Christ. Since we’re new to the church, there hasn’t been much serving, and getting to know others and joining in fellowship can be a slow process. Two things have come from this in North Carolina.

First of all I have been taught to appreciate in a greater way the fellowship we had at our church back home. God loves to join our hearts and lives together so we can bear each others burdens, encourage and learn from each other and hold each other accountable. Every time I receive a text message, email or card from Kansas I’m thankful there are still ways we can have a measure of the fellowship we enjoyed. Secondly, since I’m not actively serving in a ministry, I have had plenty of time to look for other ways to serve, ways I might not have readily thought of. We have an entire town home subdivision full of opportunities. Neighbors with newborns, single Mom’s, fellow believers from other churches, young people just starting out on their own. How can I/We show them who Jesus is?

I’m not settled in in North Carolina yet, but it’s probably a good thing. I seem to learn the most when I’m not comfortable! I can’t wait to see what wonderful, exciting, God glorifying things He has in store for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment